Toledo is a Spanish city on a hill above central plains of Castilla-La Mancha. It is a very old city with its mentions in the pre-roman history and is known as the imperial city as it was home to the court of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor. It is also known as the city of three cultures because of the impact of Christians, Muslims and Jews on its history.
Toledo also has had a long past of producing bladed weapons,which have now become popular souvenirs of the city. It is declared by UNESCO for its extensive monumental and cultural richness as a world heritage site in 1986. Travel to this city today with cheap flight tickets to Toledo and make memories to cherish for a lifetime.
In Toledo, you will find some of the best museums you can visit listed below.
- Toledo Museum of Art. This museum is one of the best in the world when it comes to the quality of art collection it possesses. Art pieces available here for display range from all parts of the world and across time. The founder of this museum wanted art to be accessible to the public and hence this museum has free entry even today. The museum is comparatively small but is bound to keep you gazing in awe for a long time.
- National Museum of the Great Lakes. This is a Maritime museum made to pay homage to the great lakes. This museum houses some of the best educational pieces of Maritime history of the region. It is a wonderful place to visit with six exhibit galleries, an outdoor maritime park, and the Col. James M. Schoonmaker Museum Ship open from May to October.
- Imagination Station. This is Toledo’s science center. This place has wonderful educational and interactive exhibits that offer knowledge through play. This place is immensely popular with the kids and families can spend almost a full day here playing and learning across the various exhibits on display. This museum always keeps introducing something new to their collection every now and then. It is a must visit for every tourist in Toledo.
- Glass Pavilion. Now this is something unique that you can experience in Toledo only. This glass museum has some of the most beautiful pieces of glass art you are ever going to come across. The antique and timeless pieces of art are just other worldly and the glass blowing demonstrations available here are mesmerizing and highly educational at the same time. The glass blowing demonstrations make you fall in love with this art form in an instance.
- Toledo Firefighters Museum. This museum is also one of a kind in the world. It houses old firefighting equipment and uniforms worn throughout the firefighting history of Toledo. It houses some antique pieces of equipment that are fascinating to observe and understand.
- The Frogtown Froggy Museum. This is a unique proposition to visit in Toledo. It is for frog collectors and lovers. The exhibits here are not real; they are made from plush material, stuffed toys, ceramic or glass. The museum is a joy to visit with its lovely curator Amy. She is a real enthusiast. It is a very small museum but unique nonetheless.
- Gathered Glass. This is another glass museum but here along with the glass blowing demonstrations you can actually take classes to learn the art and the intricacies involved. It is afun place to visit as the experience offered here in not to be found anywhere else.
Apart from the museum, the old quarters of the city offer uninterrupted view of the past. The historic monuments and buildings present here stand witness to the rich cultural heritage this city stands for. The culmination of the Christian, Muslim and Jewish culture and art can be witnessed here in person.
The entire old city is like a historical museum of humanity in itself. You are going to feel amazed standing amidst the old structures contemplating the history of the region. Anyone who visits the city of Toledo is bound to leave with better historical knowledge and an admiration for the past.
Planning to travel to Toledo? There are ways to save on flight tickets. You can easily get cheap flights to Toledo round the year if you book online – there are many offers to take. Take help of the websites that have regular deals and discounts to get cheap airline tickets to Toledo. You can also book cheap airfare tickets to Toledo through applications that find the dates when fares are lowest. This way you can find one way, direct and non-stop flights to Toledo without a worry and still save a lot of cash while traveling to this exotic location.